Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Super Quick But Healthy - Especially for Inspirationless Monday Nights

Short on inspiration for Monday night dinner?  That was me last night so I decided to make the frittata recommended by my bootcamp trainers.

It serves 8, so I halved it to feed myself and one ravenous boyfriend who had spent the entire afternoon building a set of shelves for our kitchen - very hot, sweaty, thirsty work.  Well deserving of an extra portion!


Frittata with Spinach & Leeks
Ingredients
8 large eggs
2 cups egg whites
1/4 cup skim milk
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup chopped leeks
1 cup chopped spinach
1/8 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese


Instructions
1.  Preheat oven to 180ºC.
2.  In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk and lemon juice.
3.  Heat olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté leeks and spinach until tender and season with salt and pepper.
4.  Add cheese and sautéed vegetables to egg mixture and stir until combined. Pour  mixture into a 9" cake pan.
5.  Bake frittata in oven until eggs are cooked and cheese is melted, about 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool briefly and cut into 8 pieces.


Serving Information
Makes 8 servings


My pan was a little too big for halving the recipe, but it didn't matter as I just doubled the slices up on each other.

Just to boost vege intake a little more, I made a salad and some corn on the cob as well - yum!

Big benefit of living in Singapore - outdoor dining every day of the year!

So far this week:
  1. I managed to beat a certain someone TWICE in tennis (although he was pretty tired)
  2. I succumbed to sharing a slice of delicious sweet and sour lemon pie after lunch - but stopped at two bites.  It looked so good, I just couldn't say no - and it tasted just as good as I expected.  Why oh why would anyone want to deprive themselves of such delicious goodness is beyond me.  Citrus - such a delicious weakness!   

No comments:

Post a Comment