Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Week of Monday Nights: Fish Tagine and Brown Rice

We all have one evening a week for which all effort flies out the window.  For me it's a Monday night.  Monday is usually supermarket day (because, despite best intentions, I didn't get around to it on Sunday) which is always done after work.  Even though usually there are two of us to do the shopping, we never seem to make it home before 7pm.  So Monday night meals must always be extremely quick but tasty to sooth those tired taste buds.

This week has felt like a week of Monday nights so the next few posts will be paying homage to this.

When you're pushed for time, fish is a wonderful go-to: quick cooking, flexible, healthy and delicious.  This fish tagine recipe is from my trusty Epicurious iPhone app and (as my friend Jess says in her blog) is "fridge to fork" in less than 30 minutes.  The beauty of this recipe is that almost everything was already at home in the pantry - tinned tomatoes, spices, rice.  All I had to do was pop into the supermarket and pick up some fish.

I served mine on brown rice (love the chewy texture) but it does take a little longer to cook.  Really pressed for time? You can pick up par-boiled brown rice from the supermarket (when you drop in to get the fish) or if you're super-prepared you may have some in your freezer (not me).  Otherwise, just put the rice on as soon as you walk in the door, and it will be done by the time the fish is. 

I also added a few more veges because I can't resist added veges to recipes (occasionally to their detriment).  I chopped half a zucchini, a stick of celery and a carrot.  The carrot I added about five minutes before the end, the celery and zucchini about two minutes before the end.  I like my veges crunchy, so add them with the fish if you like.  I also chopped the fish into large-ish pieces.




This recipe is for six people, but we both had double helpings, and I took the left overs to work for lunch the next day.  Left overs are often better the day after, I think.


Fish Tagine with Tomatoes, Capers, and Cinnamon

Makes 6 servings



  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin

  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil [I just used a good couple of slugs]

  • 1 (15-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, chopped

  • 1 1/2 tablespoons drained capers [I forgot these]

  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

  • 4 (6-ounce) pieces hake or halibut fillet (about 1-inch-thick)


  • Heat cumin in oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, capers, cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 10 minutes.
    Pat fish dry and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, then add to skillet. Cover and simmer until fish is just cooked through, 7 to 10 minutes.

     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment