Thursday, July 14, 2011

Drink Your Wild Oats - Bar on the Hill

"we distrust camels or anyone who can go a week without a drink"

Any place with a statement like that is bound to be good in my books!


wild oats during the day

Image from wild oats website

I've been meaning to go to wild oats (no capitalisation please) for a while now - it is literally just up the hill from my house in Singapore.  We stumbled upon it walking home from dinner (wo's sister restaurant Wild Rocket, also good, is also just up the hill) and thought it looked great but hadn't made it back until last night.


Sander and I headed out for dinner last night before my work trip to Australia ('technical difficulties' mean I'm writing this now in the airport as opposed to somewhere in the air over Java) takes me away for a week and we decided to start our evening with a drink at wild oats.

I love the setting: an old Colonial-style white house, a wooden deck dotted with rattan chairs and surrounded by some great music filtering through the rainforest-esque foliage. 


The drinks menu is great - the wine list is extensive (including lots of New Zealand sav and pinot - yes!) and the cocktail list has a great mix of classics and clever combinations.  I was tempted by a blueberry and lemongrass margarita, and also a kiwi whisky sour but in the end Sander had his usual mojito (if it ain't broke...) and I tried a lime, ginger and sake gimlet.  What a fabulous combination!  Little flakes of ginger injected a touch of spice, the lime added a tang, and I love sake.  It was very strong, but really no complaints from me, I could drink these all night.


See what I mean about lush foliage?

We were a bit peckish and the food menu looked interesting (although very 'bar snack'ish therefore lots of deep fried bits).  I had a little giggle to myself when I was reading about their Hot Bitches - wo's take on hot dogs - but we decided to get wasabi prawns.  I wasn't expecting deep fried (possibly I mis-read the menu) but I have to say they were delicious.  The wasabi mayonnaise was very creamy with a hint of that familiar horseradish tang.  Sander would have preferred more wasabi, but I thought it was fine.

Sadly, there were two downsides.  Getting the attention of the majority of the waitstaff was near to impossible.  They have a very unprofessional habit of delivering their drinks from the bar inside and then disappearing without taking a look around the deck to see if anyone else wanted service.  We had to wait for about six different people to come and go before someone looked up and saw the now several tables where someone was trying to get some attention.  Secondly they bought out Sander's mojito about 10 minutes before my gimlet came out (and delivered about four other drinks in between to other patrons).  This is a giant no-no in my book.  It's really not that difficult to wait until both drinks are ready before delivering to the table.  You get no brownie points for speedy service if said service is only partially complete.

At the end of the day, I will most certainly be back. wild oats (feels very uncomfortable not capitalising the start of that sentence) has a great atmosphere, tasty drinks and is just up the hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment