Sunday, July 10, 2011

Ladies Who Brunch: At The Barracks

Yesterday was a lovely combination of food and activity.  Laura and I kicked off with brunch at The Barracks on Dempsey Hill and then stretched our legs at The First Tee, the 9-hole pitch and putt down the road.

The Barracks is well worth a visit, although it's not the easiest of places to find.  It's tucked around the back of the main Dempsey Hill cluster of bars/cafes and borders the forest.  We arrived shortly after opening, but after an hour the place was humming so clearly not everyone had the same location difficulties I had!

The menu looks great, it's styled as a newspaper with a bit of background on the front and a huge array of choice on the inside.  Things which caught my eye: Very Berry Stuffed French Toast, Ahi Taki Salad and 3 Berry Ahi Sandwich (both tuna), and a couple of delicious smoothie options. 






I was craving eggs however, so I went with poached eggs.  They came with bene-dressing, mushrooms, crumbed tomatoes, sausages and raisin toast.  A big tick for The Barracks - they let me switch out the sausages for asparagus spears (I was eyeing them up in another meal) for no extra charge.  This sounds pretty obvious right?  Believe me, in Singapore menu flexibility is not always easy to accomplish.



In the end, I had supreme food envy for Laura's Ahi Taki Salad.  Small things (eggs a little too over done, raisin toast - odd combination) were outweighed by the mouth full of vinegar water I received when I bit into my eggs.  Luckily I had a delicious mango and banana smoothie to wash away the taste.  And my double shot macchiato was pretty good.




They were advertising a vintage high tea which looked amazing, but unfortunately it's only available Thursdays and Fridays from 3 - 5.30pm.  Definitely targeting the ladies who lunch, rather than the ladies who brunch.

All in all, I'm not against going back, but I'll probably spend some time investigating other Dempsey Hill hideaways first.

No comments:

Post a Comment