Sunday, October 9, 2011

Restaurant Review: Kith - Disappoints Terribly

A premature breakfast attempt at new coffee joint Toby's Estate on Roberston Quay led me to Kith yesterday morning.

Toby's Estate is a new kid on the coffee block but has opened a week early to serve coffee only - breakfast service starts next week.  Great coffee (although the first one was luke-warm) means I will definitely go back for breakfast, but more on that at a later date.

Hungry, I headed two doors down to Kith.  I was looking for a light breakfast as I planned to run home, and muesli, fresh strawberries and vanilla yoghurt seemed to fit the bill.  Sander had no such qualms, ordering scrambled eggs on toast with a side of grilled tomatoes and bacon.

Oh how disappointing.  In fact if I hadn't been so hungry and in need of something before my run I don't think I would have eaten it.  Where to start?  The 'muesli' barely deserves to be described as such, heavy on the cornflakes and clearly poured straight from a supermarket-bought package.  The strawberries were barely ripe and the vanilla yoghurt far too sweet (natural/unsweeted/unflavoured wasn't available, I checked).

The scrambled eggs were equally poor.  Despite Kith displaying some lovely grainy bread, the scrambled eggs came out on two enormous slices of super sweet Singapore white bread and the tomatoes were distinctly sorry-looking.  The icing on the cake was a small ramekin of a runny substance our waiter identified as home-made strawberry jam - who serves strawberry jam with scrambled eggs?.  The jam was fortunately pre-identified for Sander, not so fortunate was the man next to us who mistook it for some sort of salsa and poured it over his eggs before tasting it.

The water dispenser was a plastic picnic container with a few flimsy disposable cups stacked on top.  It rested on a small stool and served a dual purpose of watering the patrons and filling the doggy bowl beneath it.  Only now am I wondering whether any thirsty pooches had licked the spout...

Yet the outside tables were jam-packed with people, little kids were playing and people were reading newspapers in the sunshine.  Perhaps they knew not to order eggs or muesli.  I've heard the toasties are good, and Sander's juice looked delicious but I won't be going back to try for myself.

Image from Kith's website

No comments:

Post a Comment