Saturday, March 17, 2012

Review: Rice Magician - Magic for a Quick Snack

Out for a mid-afternoon juice break, I was hit by a sudden craving for carbs.  Being sugar-free for March, an easy solution wasn't easy to come by, but then I saw the Rice Magician!

Rice Magician, where have you been for the past two years I've been in Singapore?  Why have I never noticed your bright green shop front?

So what's so special about Rice Magician?  According to the website, the focus is on healthy rice snacks, of which the rice roll is their most popular product.  After studying over 300 different strains of rice, they use biotechnology (wow, fancy for rice!) to to bring the best combination of enzymes to reduce flatulence.  Your rice selection is flattened and stuffed with a your choice of healthy (and a few not so healthy) fillings.

The rice selection itself is a minor exercise in self-diagnosis.
  • Brown Rice to manage weight/cholesterol, prevent heart disease and cancer
  • Purple Rice for nutrients essential for women or the elderly, improving immune systems or easing joint problems
  • Red Rice which is is excellent for those with anaemia or constipation
  • Wheat Germ Brown Rice to promote blood circulation, or overcome physical and mental aging
  • Mixed Grain Rice, with a combination of twelve different grains for maximum nutrition and health benefits
  • Wheat Five Rice to combine the health benefits of cereal, oat, wheat, buckwheat grain and barley

Then you decide on fillings - a whole host of European and Taiwanese meat (chicken, tuna, sausage etc) and veggie options (corn, cucumber, mushrooms, broccoli, beans etc).




For $4.40, you get enough for a light lunch, or a hefty healthy snack to see you through until a late dinner.

Which rice would you choose?

2 comments:

  1. Every single one in turn! Why did I not know about this?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I thought when I'd just polished off my first rice roll! I'm going to try purple rice next, I think. Let me know what you think when you try it!

      Delete