Friday, January 13, 2012

January 30-Day Challenge: Facebook Free Week 1 & 2 Update


So, I’m now thirteen days Facebook free and I have to admit, I really miss it!  I think I underestimated how much of my time was spent on Facebook.




Why I chose this challenge

Prior to January, I was on Facebook a lot.  I’m certain I’m far from their heaviest user, but I would log in for updates first thing in the morning (literally before I got out of bed), on the bus to work… basically any minute where I wasn’t doing anything, I was on Facebook.  I’m pretty sure my iPhone Facebook app is a major contributor to the (self-diagnosed) repetitive strain injury in my right thumb.


The Good
  • I spend more time with my head in the air and looking around than hunched over my iPhone
  • I’m reading more blogs during my down time (on the bus, waiting for people etc) where I would have been on Facebook
  • I’ve reduced the (self-diagnosed) RSI in my right thumb
  • I’m actually emailing/calling people directly instead of posting a quick note to people’s walls


The Bad
  • I feel very out of the loop
  • I’m missing out on photos of Christmas holidays, weddings
  • I’ve forgotten a few birthdays (oops, sorry!)
  • Worrying that I’m giving people the cold shoulder by ignoring their wall posts – that of course assumes people are posting on my wall (I have notification turned off)… maybe they’re not – I’m not sure which is worse…?


Half way there now.  In hindsight I should have gone for Facebook Free For February (more ‘f’s’ there), but I think this is going to be one of the easiest of my twelve 30-Day Challenges.

If you’re just joining the 30-Day Challenge, here’s the list of my 30-Day Challenges.  Join me in mine or let me know yours – it’s the new alternative to a New Year’s Resolution!

6 comments:

  1. Day 13 and my no bread January is going well but I'm sorry, Vita Weats just don't cut it as a substitute for a ham and salad sanger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good stuff Rach - have to agree with you on the Vita Weats... How are you defining 'bread'? Perhaps an alternative sort of wrap made from rice/chickpea flour? Or are you going without bread of any description? :-)

      We missed you at boot camp this week...

      Delete
  2. Think I might join you for your February challenge Bex. I have no photos of BA and this would be good motivation! Am also going to have a stab at your lemon chutney today too!
    BSP xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! I'd love to see some of your BA photos. How did the lemon chutney go? I thought it was really good on crackers with some cream cheese/marscapone underneath xx

      Delete
  3. Have had a nightmare. Don't have a blender/food processor for the lemon chutney so that never eventuated. And I forgot to take a photo for the first two days of my photo challenge. Utterly pathetic! I am now in full swing with the photos so don't worry, shall send them to you once I'm done! Was thinking it would be really cool to somehow superimpose them over a calendar and frame the whole thing.
    BSP xo

    ReplyDelete