Sunday, January 8, 2012

2011: The Year That Was

Happy New Year!

2011 - what a year!  An incredibly action-packed and adventurous year, shared with family and friends dotted all around the globe!  What a lucky girl I am.

Destinations 2011


Read on after the jump...


2011 - the year of:
  • Travel - my passport has certainly not been dieting:  Holland, Dubai, Malaysia, Vietnam, London, India, Indonesia, New Zealand, Japan... long may it continue!
  • Blogging - my first post was on the 16th January and with that I was plunged into the online world. 
  • Career decisions - deciding to take a long hard look at the answer to "what do I want to be when I grow up" and deciding to move into communications (work in progress)
  • Committing to Singapore - we're here to stay for another two years - good news for those who follow my Singapore cafe/restaurant/coffee reviews




A Year in Pictures

Food market during rain storm
(Kuala Lumpur, Chinese New Year, January)

Ho Chi Minh police directing teeming traffic
(Ho Chi Minh City, Easter, April)

-- post here --

India... too much to fit into a caption... incredible
(Mysore, May)

My favourite travel destination - home
(Akitio, New Zealand, May)

Clambering up rope ladders to summit Gunung Santubong
(Kuching, Borneo, May)

-- post here --

Our 'local' island and weekend escape
(Pulau Rawa, Malaysia, June)

Introduction to rice paddies
(Ubud, Bali, July)

-- post here --

Windsor Castle by dusk
(London, October)

Dansan:  hands down one of my best nights out
(Golden Gai, Tokyo)

-- post here --

One of my favourite photos taken this year
(Shinjuku Crossing, Tokyo)

-- post here and here --

Incredible family Christmas - we missed you Bridgie!
(Hanoi and Sapa, December)
-- post to come once I've sorted the photos! --


With starting Step One: I have discovered a passion for writing and a medium for an expression of my love of food and travel.  As my confidence and experience grew, Step One: has broadened from being focussed on the challenges of weight loss (which I'm still working on, by the way), to sharing recipes, travel experiences and photos, reviews in the pursuit of the perfect coffee or brunch (Ladies Who Brunch), and generally being out and about in Singapore.  I'm fortunate enough to now have some regular readers (love you guys!) dotted all around the globe.

Confucius said, "the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step".  I still love the name Step One:  the first pace as you step outside the door for a run, the first  part of a recipe method, the first "left or right?" outside your hotel door...

Thanks for sticking with me in 2011.  My journey is continuing into 2012 - will you come along for the ride??!

8 comments:

  1. YES! I love this space of Bex on the interwebs, even though it makes me miss you terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome babe!! You're missed muchly also xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. From your two Aussie fans ....keep them coming! We will continue to 'live in Singers' through your eyes! Rach & Tim xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rach and Tim - you'll bumping up my Aussie readers but Singapore will really miss you! Safe travels xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it Becks! Fair play to you for having such a fab 2011! I have to laugh at your remark "....being focussed on the challenges of weight loss..", and you with your fabulous figure and not an inch to pick on you!! Wishing you another action packed 2012 and looking forward to more great nights out with you and of course our fave bootcamp sessions! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww shucks Caro - thanks! Hopefully we will both have an adventure-filled and action-packed 2012, not to mention some fun nights out!! See you tomorrow morning bright and early xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the photos. Especially the one taken in India!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph! It's almost impossible to take a bad photo in India - the colours are amazing! Hope the Sydney summer is treating you well xx

      Delete