Tuesday, January 10, 2012

When the Farmers Come to Town

Should I be surprised that Singapore has not just one, but several farmers markets?  Perhaps, given that Singapore's farm land is only 1.5% of the island; perhaps not, given that Singaporeans as a nation are collectively obsessed with food.

Either way, I'm not concerned.  I love farmers markets, and this weekend's visit unearthed a few fabulous goodies that will have me heading back for more.

Laura and I were planning to settle down for an afternoon of Glee and a lunch platter so we jumped on their bikes (debut cycling experience in Singapore!!) and peddled on down to Loewen Gardens.  We came back with green olives, the creamiest feta I've ever tried, chili dukkah, baked tortillas, a lamb and mint pie and a replenished olive oil supply (couldn't resist).  What a feast!

As my Poppa Ted would say, "get your laughing gear" around the chili dukkah.  It's made in Australia by Thistle Be Good  and if you are new to dukkah, you are missing out.  The traditional way is to break soft crusty bread into pieces, dunk in olive oil and then dunk in dukkah (delish!), but there are so many other uses you really are only limited by your imagination.  The couple at the Thistle Be Good stall gave me a few recipes to try: a crust on fish or chicken, a sprinkling on veges, part of a fruit crumble crust - they all sound fabulous.  Because I love the chocolate/chili combination, I'm going to make some raw dark chocolate truffles and roll each one in my new chili dukkah... chocolate, nuts, chili... winning combination, surely?!

Image from Tastingstation.com.au


The cafe there (The Pantry) looks really good (the lamb and mint pie was delish) so stay tuned for a review from The Ladies Who Brunch.

The farmers market is a twice-monthly affair, held the first and third weekend of each month.  If you haven't already, pop down and check it out.

Thistle Be Good also make rubs, flavoured couscous and risottos using South Australian local ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment