Tuesday, July 17, 2012

July 30-Day Challenge: A Month Without Caffeine?


Coffee... that wonderful, wonderful legal stimulant.  

Coffee has an almost ritualistic place in my life.  I come alive in the morning with the smell of it brewing, I down a chilled one before heading to boot camp sessions, it’s a reason to get up from my desk and stretch my legs, or a crutch after not enough sleep and it’s an endless search for a decent cup in Singapore.  You can imagine my trepidation about going without it for a month – it’s not as simple as just switching to decaf, because that still contains caffeine, just a lot less.




Turns out I was completely over dramatising my caffeine dependence as I haven’t had the expected headaches and I’ve managed to get through hangovers, jet lag and going back to work with surprising ease.  I do miss the taste of coffee, the ritual aspect, and how comforting a strong, milky cup of tea can be.  I’ve been substituting in herbal tea – green, peppermint or fresh mint, rooibos with milk and current fav ginger and lemon with a bit of honey (I have a sore throat).

With two weeks to go, I have plenty of time to try new flavours – any suggestions?  I’d love a real ‘pick me up’ combo to have in the mornings with breakfast.

What challenge are you doing for July?

2 comments:

  1. Lemongrass and Ginger.
    Passionfruit and mango.
    Lemon and Ginger.
    Green tea and Ginger.


    I actually did July without my usual strong morning chai (without meaning to) and fared better than I expected. I don't miss it and I'm on the search for new flavors with kick as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fellow ginger lover, I see! I'm going to give those a shot, starting with lemongrass and ginger - yum!

      Delete