Monday, February 14, 2011

Sniffles and Sugar


Sniffles and Sugar - back dated to 11th February

Having given my reason for not going for a run yesterday as that I wouldn’t bounce well off a truck, this morning I changed my mind.  The morning was so beautiful, crisp and clear that it seemed criminal to pound away on a treadmill (let’s be honest, treadmills are boring).  So at 7am I picked up my camera (benefit of being fortunate enough to have two cameras – point and shoot and SLR) and off I went.  The traffic wasn’t so bad – a few trucks, motorbikes and pedestrians.  I definitely stuck out like a sore thumb – there were no women out and about, and certainly none in running tights and a hot pink Nike singlet!  I’d forgotten what a pleasure it is to run in the crisp morning air – it’s always at least 26 degrees in Singapore.  As I ran along a pathway I came across a group of men doing yoga in the morning sunlight – it gave a whole new meaning to sun salutations.

Last night I failed dismally with my ‘off switch’ at dinner.  You could have rolled me home I was so full.  The immediate feeling was guilt at having such dismal self control.  I have a feeling the ‘off switch’ is going to be my major challenge along this journey.  More than the sweet treat craving, more than increasing my exercise, probably more than completing the Angkor Watt Half Marathon!


I unfortunately have a cold. It's actually quite a significant event because I very rarely get sick. Having grown up pulling my afternoon tea directly out of the vege garden, I think I've developed a tough-guy immune system. Conversely, whenever I do actually come down with something it takes on man-flu significance. Woe is me!

Sniffles + tired body + sitting down all day = tough going.

My sugar cravings have been through the roof and like irascible tigers. The only recognizable sugar nearby my research center takes the form of orange tictaks... I'm onto my fourth pack. I'm also on my fourth bottle of water with a seeming unquenchable thirst and scratchy throat.

Another delicious thali for lunch today, followed by a dish which tastes like spongy carrot cake without the cream cheese icing. Yum!

Thali before...
Thali after....


Yummy spongy carrot cake

Our restaurateur's yoga guru - yikes!


Tonight after research we're having a surprise birthday cake for a woman in our group. I'm thinking today is pretty much a health write-off... Oh well, I was exemplary up until lunchtime.

I hope I'm feeling better tomorrow. My sightseeing endurance will be hugely limited if I'm not. Think positive Bex!

No comments:

Post a Comment