Monday, February 28, 2011

The Incredible Edible Egg


"Mmmm I love eggs, from my head down to my legs"



The humble egg is a top contender for my favourite food.  The egg has had a bit of a rough ride in the reputation stakes in the past, but it's very firmly in my 'eat often' section of the pyramid.


Eggcellent Points About Eggs:

  1. Versatile - scramble, poach, hard or soft boil (I don't fry) - and that's just the simple version!  Don't even get me started on frittatas, quiches, salads...
  2. Packed full of high-quality protein and 13 essential vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants
  3. Keeps me going until lunch time - when I have an egg as part of my breakfast I don't need morning tea
  4. Tasty - a pinch of salt and a grind of pepper is all you need
  5. Inexpensive
  6. Quick to whip up
  7. Natural and unprocessed
  8. Brilliant for post-workout recovery

So what about cholesterol?  Wasn't that what all the fuss was about in the first place?

Well... on average one egg has 185g of cholesterol and the recommendation for an average healthy adult is 300g per day (admittedly from a pro-egg website).  Plus all of the cholesterol in eggs is in the yolk, so if you're chowing down on heaps of eggs, it's simple enough to separate a few yolks out.


I'm eggstatic... what an eggcellent eggsample of a eggsemplary food...



No comments:

Post a Comment