Thursday, March 3, 2011

Out Boxed?

Word of the Day: ictuate (v.) - to reiterate

Wandering around the office in his pijamas, George ictuated that if Hugh Hefner could get away with it, so could he


Today I can barely lift my arms to type.  My whole upper body is in agony.  The reason? Boxing!

We box regularly at boot camp - it's such a great work out. I'm not a fan of boxing as a sport, but for fitness I am a huge supporter.  I will reluctantly admit that boxing twice a week for about 15 minutes in total has given me much admiration for the fitness of those who choose to box competitively.

So in the spirit of this new admiration, here are some interesting facts about boxing...
  1. Boxing was first introduced as an Olympic sport in 688 BC
  2. The most prolific boxer fought 463 bouts (W: 336, L: 127) between 1928 and 1947 (also the record for the most wins)
  3. Although now square, the term 'boxing ring' originated from a circle drawn in the dust
  4. Muhammed Ali lost to more ameteur boxers (7) than professional boxers (5)
Originally, the aim of boxing was to remain uninjured.  Rather, you would try to tire your opponent until they signal their exhaustion by raising two fingers... hmmm... things have changed somewhat.



No comments:

Post a Comment