Thursday, March 17, 2011

Minor Victory & Artichokes

Official weigh-in this morning showed no change vs last week.  Ordinarily this would leave me incredibly frustrated, but this week I consider it a minor victory.  Why?  Because I had such an enormous weekend, I really was petrified that I would go backwards. 

Friday night was book club (lots of nibbly bits - yum) and Saturday night was the Johnnie Walker Jet Black party.  This involved a lot of dancing, music and (you guessed it) Johnnie Walker.  I'm not a big whisky drinker, but the whisky sours were going down a treat.  Wobbling home at 4am, being a complete right-off the next day (and the day after that), I was convinced I would have gone backwards so I resolved to have an extra good week to make up for it... and it paid off.  Whew!



Last night's dinner was a spectacular masterpiece (... if I do say so myself).  In anticipation of the arrival of my Italian bible of cooking (Silver Spoon), I have been practicing my Italian and using my newest piece of kitchen equipment... a small oven-proof pan.


Artichoke and Sundried Tomato Stuffed Chicken Breast

Note: Small chicken breasts are recommended here - this recipe is very filling!

INGREDIENTS:
  • 4 roughly chopped marinated artichokes
  • 1 cup grated Edam cheese
  • 1/2 cup (packed) roughly chopped sundried tomatoes
  • 1T dried basil
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • Olive oil
  • 2 finely sliced shallots
  • 1 minced garlic clove
  • 1 can chopped tomatoes
  • 2 handfuls of spinach
  • small amount for spaghetti
  • salt & pepper
  • grated parmesan for sprinkling

METHOD:
  1. Heat oven to 180 deg C
  2. Mix artichokes, cheese, basil and tomatoes in a bowl.  Slice a pocket into the chicken breast and fill with mix (there will be heaps left over) and press sides down.  Season well with salt and pepper.  Put remaining mixture to one side.
  3. In an oven-proof pan, heat oil on medium heat and lightly fry garlic and shallots.  Remove from heat and add to remaining artichoke etc mixture.
  4. In same pan brown the stuffed chicken breasts on both sides.  Add remaining artichoke etc mixture to the pan around the chicken breast.  Add the tinned tomatoes on top and distribute evenly
  5. Place pan in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
  6. Cook pasta till al dente, plate and top with torn handfuls of spinach.  Place chicken breast on top and spoon on extra sauce.
  7. Sprinkle with parmesan and serve with green salad

No comments:

Post a Comment