Friday, March 25, 2011

Classical Contradiction

I love ballet.  I danced when I was a little girl, and during first year uni I was crazy enough to go back to it with a group of friends.  We were definitely not 'typical ballerinas' by that stage, and a thorough commitment to drinking and partying meant that we were never going to be.  Grown women prancing around in leotards, flesh coloured tights and teetering on pointe shoes made for hilarious lessons.

Last night I was fortunate enough to be invited to the opening of Romeo and Juliet performed by the Singapore Dance Company.


The performance was ok (not the best I have ever seen, but certainly not the worst) but a couple of things non-ballet related struck me as odd.

Firstly let me set the scene.  The ballet is beginning, the red curtain rises and reveals another curtain with a countryside setting and the immortal words of Shakespeare:

Two households, both alike in dignity,
In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.

So far so good, except that curtain remained down for about five minutes.  And that same curtain came back for two or three minute intervals at least six other times during the performance.  Performance momentum was definitely lost and audience attention was clearly indicated by the loud whispers and shuffling of programs.  Unfortunately the curtain became a bit of a joke by the end of the performance - we were all here to watch the ballet but spent a large amount of time watching a curtain.

The second contradiction appeared during the first intermission. I'd read in the program (which was free) that the sponsorship intent was to make ballet more accessible to youth, elderly, underprivileged etc, yet the water available at the bar was Fiji Water priced at $4 per 330ml.  That's $12 per litre - crikey!  It hurts a little when you know you can buy local water from a 7 Eleven for $1, and I'm fairly sure the youth, elderly and underprivileged would not be overly concerned if they were not drinking "natural artisan water".

But I was thirsty, so I paid it willingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment