Sunday, March 27, 2011

Fore!

Yesterday I slipped a golf glove on for the first time in a year.


With 30 minutes warm up in the driving range behind me, I teed off on the first hole.  The ball soared through the air, nice and high, straight as an arrow.  Little did I know, as I turned smugly around to pick up my tee, it was all down hill from there.




Luckily for me it was only the five-hole practice course at the Jurong Country Club (and not the usual 18) so the pain was relatively short lived.  The practice course was the clever idea of the "last week I had three pars in a row" BF in preparation for the full monty in Malaysia next weekend.  Very sensible suggestion, given that there have been tears of frustration on the first hole before - surely a record?

I do miss playing golf.  Before moving to Singapore we played most weekends, but New Zealanders are spoilt for choice amongst beautiful, accessible and relatively inexpensive courses.  Over here a round of golf on the weekend could cost you $400 - hence why we are going to play in Malaysia, not Singapore.

I would never say that I am a good golfer - on the contrary.  I'd say that I was an average golfer with moments of brilliance, and that my sand-wedge and I are mortal enemies.  Depending on my form (which fluctuates dramatically, even within a hole), a round of golf is a fabulous way to spend a morning, or four hours of excruciating torture.  I am my own worst enemy on the golf course - I'm competitive, which means I'm constantly comparing myself with Mr Three Pars (usual golfing partner) and usually falling short.  I also expect each shot to be a perfectly executed master stroke - never mind the fact that golf is not a sport in which great skill is obtained overnight.

I'm thinking a second trip to the driving range might be in order before the weekend... perhaps a lesson... or perhaps now it's just too late.


No comments:

Post a Comment