Sunday, March 13, 2011

Ladies, a Plate


Yesterday I was tearing down memory lane at breakneck speed as I sat down to a cup of coffee with a recipe book - Ladies, a Plate by Alexa Johnson.


Ladies, a Plate by Alexa Johnson


Quite possibly this is my new favorite book. It's chock-full of recipes my Mum used to make - oaty ginger crunch, lemon Madeira cake, carrot cake... The afternoon tea tins were always full of delicious goodies when we arrived home after school.


Oaty Ginger Crunch
Lemon Madeira Cake


We know (based on my earlier disastrous birthday cake attempt) that I am not the most confident baker, but I was so inspired to switch on the oven, roll up my sleeves and get up to my elbows in flour.  So I jumped on the Book Depository website and bought it!

Now, I know baking and healthy eating don't habitually keep each other company in the same sentence, but there is something about the smell of fresh baking that is good for the soul. And what else could be more soulful than sharing the sweet labours of your love?

Just as long as I don't eat the whole batch myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment