Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Breakfast Quinoa

I love breakfast - I get up a bit earlier in the morning so I can sit on my little balcony with breakfast and a coffee and leisurely catch up on the news. Quite often I find that breakfast doesn't quite take me through to lunch time (around four hours) if I don't include enough protein. The simple poached egg is my usual go-to, but I'm always looking for alternatives.

My friend Soph (check out her blog here) suggested trying quinoa, so when I stumbled across this recipe in a book review I thought I'd try it out.


Quinoa and Sweet Spice Oatmeal

Serves 1 generously

Ingredients:
·         1/4 cup quinoa, well-rinsed
·         3/4 cup milk of your choice
·         3/4 cup water
·         2 teaspoons dried blueberries, cranberries, or raisins
·         1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
·         1/2 star anise (optional)
·         1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
·         1/2 teaspoon citrus zest
·         Sweetener to taste
·         1-2 Tablespoons pumpkin seeds (or sunflower)

Combine quinoa, milk, and water in a small pan. Bring to a boil, partially cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Add the dried fruit, spices, vanilla extract, and orange zest. Cook for another 15 minutes.

Once the quinoa is soft, adjust the consistency to your liking by evaporating excess liquid over high heat or adding a splash more water. Sweeten to taste and sprinkle with the pumpkin seeds.

If using soy milk cook quinoa in water for the first 20 minutes then add soy milk for the later stage.


My Notes:

Due to pantry insufficiency, I used prunes and mixed spice (instead of star anise and cinnamon) and left out the citrus all together.  

I didn't use any sweetener at all because I don't like my breakfasts too sweet, and I stirred some rolled oats in at the end to absorb the extra cooking liquid rather than drain it out (love oats).

I made enough for five breakfasts and I serve it with all bran, natural yoghurt and banana, and then sprinkle a few seeds and some LSA on top.


The Verdict:

I love it - the quinoa has a slightly nutty taste and chewy texture.  Next time I think I'll leave out the star anise and make sure I have some citrus handy.  Some honey drizzled on top would hit the spot for those with a sweet tooth.


Breakfast of champions

3 comments:

  1. love it!

    can't see much of the quiona in the photo - I'm sure it was great though.

    Just had an awesome banana smoothie - this time with coconut. It was like a pina colada for brekky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried this and enjoyed it. I added chopped dates which added the sweetness. Fresh Kiwifruit on top were nice as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dates - that's a good idea. I'll try that for my next batch.

    ReplyDelete