Sunday, May 22, 2011

Ladies Who Brunch: Hatched and Dispatched

The quest for Singapore's best brunch spot continues with Hatched on Evans Road




First thought, "I've driven passed this place so many times - why haven't I noticed it?"  It's tucked within a building at 26 Evans Road, easy to miss I guess, if you're not looking out for it.

Pro's
  • Cute interior - black chalk board walls, lots of egg paraphernalia around
  • Menu looks great
  • Coffee is definitely above the normal Singapore standard.  Not quite as good as Loysel's Toy, but good enough
  • Service extremely prompt and friendly
  • Very reasonable prices - especially for Singapore (two poached eggs on ciabatta with tomato ~$10)



Cons
  • Not quick enough on the water refill (although got better once we asked for it)
  • Too much choice on the menu (a pro for many, a con for me - I get paralyzed with too many options!)
  • My side dish of baked whole tomato with basil pesto (yum!) was a bit cold


I'm definitely interested in returning to sample a few items from their very interesting selection of boutique beer from around the world - brunch just didn't seem the appropriate moment.


As a side note, it baffles me a little that serving staff have to check whether it's 'ok' to substitute one item on the menu for another.  For example, Laura didn't want a creamy-eggy side with her pancakes and so requested yoghurt instead - the waiter had to check whether this was ok.  In the end she had to pay extra for the yoghurt, even though she didn't get any of her creamy-eggy condiment.  This happens all the time and I find it really annoying as a customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment