Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Review: Baker & Cook

Baker & Cook were off to a great start once I found out they served Allpress coffee.  For those non-Singaporean coffee lovers, a decent brew here is a rarity and when you find a good spot it quickly becomes a regular - especially when the food is good.

Baker & Cook is a bakery and foodstore, offering a short but delicious brunch menu, a selection of deli salads and pastries, fabulous coffee and incredible-looking bread.  The NZ support is extended beyond coffee to offering a range of Selini wines (I'm biased, Selini is Hawkes Bay-based, where I'm from) at reasonable (for Singapore) prices.

Already incredibly popular, the long line was a mix of brunchers and people nipping in for a takeaway coffee or to pick up a baguette, a loaf of dark rye or a huge round.  I can attest that the dark rye (served with my scrambled eggs) was moist, dense and delicious.  The baguettes must be equally as good, as the toddler ahead of me in the line couldn't help but rip a few chunks off the one her dad had just bought, meaning he had to top up with another one.

The owner we met was super friendly, and once he figured out we were pretty mad about coffee he let us know that the Allpress representative was coming in to train their baristas on 22nd February.  I'm definitely going back to test the results myself.

I'll also be keeping an eye on the schedule for their cooking school since I'm a huge novice when it comes to bread and pastries, although a very experienced consumer!


Sander and Kathy's eggs bene - polished off in a second


My scrambled eggs with dark rye bread


Our brunch of eggs bene, scrambled eggs, two smoothies and three coffees came to $77.

Details:
Baker & Cook
77 Hillcrest Road,
Greenwood,
288951 
SINGAPORE.

t: +65 6469 8834

Opening hours: 
Sunday to Thursday - 7am to 8pm 
Friday to Saturday - 7am to 10pm

1 comment:

  1. One moment, I'll post mine soon. just wanted to say I love your new site!

    ReplyDelete