Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Intimidating Soup

There are a multitude of food courts sprinkled around Singapore - at least one in every mall.  I have tried a fair few of the options over the past year, but I have always avoided the one serving soup as I found it too intimidating.

How is soup intimidating?!

Well, picture this.  You're standing in a long line of people, bowl and tongs in hand.  As the line moves, you find yourself standing in front of a large bookshelf stacked full with ingredients - every where you turn you see piles of eggplant, carrot, spinach, broccoli, gai lan, bok choy, seaweed, mushrooms, fishballs, boiled eggs and that's just the ingredients you can identify (about half of them).  There's no opportunity for browsing as the line of hungry build-your-own-soup punters are pressing behind you to pick their veges and get to the noodle section.  Gulp!

On Wednesday's I work from home, and today when I ambled down to the food court for lunch there wasn't a line in front of the soup stall.  "Carpe diem" I thought, and I strode purposefully towards the tongs...

I went with gai lan, eggplant, broccoli, enoki mushrooms, fishballs and a boiled egg, chicken soup and rice noodles.

Not so intimidating after all

I'm not sure how healthy it is, but surely clear chicken stock soup can't be too laden with hidden nasties right?  And it's stacked full of veges.

Either way, it's definitely one of the better food court options available and not as intimidating as I first thought.

I'll just give myself a quiet pat on the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment