Friday, April 1, 2011

The Silver Spoon

On Wednesday I picked up the bible of Italian cooking - the Silver Spoon.




I love the first chapter: Eating Is A Serious Matter. I couldn't agree more.




First published in 1950 (but not translated into English until 2005), the Silver Spoon is the most successful cookbook in Italy, and is apparently has a tradition of being handed down (with hand annotations) through families or given to brides as a wedding gift.



If she were a woman, she would certainly not be a waif at 1,256 pages.  Despite this, the recipes all seem so accessible, mainly because all the photography is done on plain white crockery, or in the pan that it was cooked in. No fancy food styling to intimidate me! Plus it has an extensive glossary to help with some of the Italian cooking terms and ingredients.  Chapters cover sauces, antipasti, eggs, veges, types of
meats, cheese, desserts and has potential menu options by celebrated Italian chefs.


Colour coded chapters

There is a small but thoughtful inclusion of two book mark ribbons - give that person a pay rise!

Coincidentally, this Saturday night I'm contributing the antipasti and appetizers for an Italian feast. No prizes for guessing where I'll be getting my inspiration from.   


I'm thinking asparagus spears and grissini wrapped in prosciutto, polenta crisps and roast vege dip, stuffed eggplant... Mmmmm... My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Stuffed eggplant

No comments:

Post a Comment